Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A couple of years ago while reading a blog written by a student I particularly admire I encountered an entry about a teacher she couldn't stand. The teacher she was announcing her dislike for was me. I was startled, in part because I thought (and still think) so highly of her, but then I also realized that my regard is no guarantee of reciprocation. Teachers need to invest in students; the reverse is not so. As I paid attention to her and her work I came to ever greater levels of respect for her work; the reverse was not so.

Students are free to dislike or disapprove of or disagree with their teachers. They also are free to announce these matters to the world, as she did on her blog. I'm not happy to be the teacher she described--I would rather be liked than not--but I know she isn't the only one who has felt as she did about me and about my work. That comes with the territory. Teaching is personal presentation, no matter how we cover it, just as writing is. Some receivers aren't going to care for the person who is presenting.

One of her complaints about her situation in my class was that I was the only person teaching that course, which she needed. This is a legitimate complaint that applies to the methods courses I offer. Nobody else teaches them unless I'm gone (in my career that has been through illness or sabbatical). To get through an English teaching degree at this university, people have to take at least two courses from me, whether they like me or not.

This isn't the best of arrangements. Despite my repeated requests the department has never been willing to hire another English Ed person to split those courses with me, allowing students both choice and variety. Some people in those courses have resented me, my views, my methods. In those instances we've had to figure out how to get by so their experience with me didn't block them in their careers. Most of the time we've succeeded.

In every instance where a student's personality clashes with mine and so the emotional interaction is painful, I have to remember my mission, which is to serve students; it is not the student's mission to serve or like or respect or speak well of me. My desire to be warmly received must never color my desire to behave with my students' welfare as my primary professional duty.

She and I never spoke of these matters. She took another class from me. I continued to admire her and appreciate her work. I have not returned to her blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Berne said...

You're right...as teachers we need to realize that not every student will like them. Do I want my students to like and respect me? Yes. But what really counts is that they leave the class with something. Personalities are varied, but we survive.

For what it's worth I've enjoyed your classes. I've also been fortunate that the classes I've been in have been groups of students that "gelled," creating a positive atmosphere.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home