Friday, February 24, 2006

Sharon asks how the recital went. To quote my teacher in an e-mail later that evening, "Fine singing today. Excellent technique." The audience response was warm. I discovered that putting myself inside a character covered the nervousness to the point that it was no longer an issue. Just enough to keep me sharp, not so much as to interfere. That was another lesson from that teacher, given just two days before the performance. Another first, as none of my singing has been done as anyone but myself prior to this. I have no drama training whatever, so wouldn't have thought of anything so obvious.

Perhaps I should think about studying a little drama to color my singing.

Obviously I have much to learn.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Cournia said...

Taking a basic drama/acting class is a great idea for a singer. I think there's a reason so many "choir geeks" double as "drama geeks."

9:03 AM  
Blogger Penguin said...

This makes me wonder: When you are in the classroom, do you have a teacher "character" you "get into" -- conciously or unconciously?

I believe that we all have different "characters" or personas we put on in different circumstances. I'm sure drama lessons would make you more concious of your personas.

I know I like your Teacher and Advisor personas :)

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home