Thursday, April 27, 2006

The day I came home to find that my wife had moved out, taking the dog and some furniture with her, began a period of unparalleled grief. Shock, sorrow, guilt, regret, grief. I've looked at my brother's and my father's corpses and not felt such pain. Working through that brought me some clarity and roesolve.

I've committed myself to three women; all three have chosen to leave. One for another man. Another because she was done playing with me. The third because of her own guilt, and mine. They've tried me on, worn me for a while, and moved on.

I'm tired of being discarded.

I don't want to do that to anyone else, either. No revenge. No woman hating.

I live pretty well as a single. I get lonely, (isn't it lovely that "lonely" contains "one"? lovely/lonely/one) but loneliness suits me. I'm good at loneliness. I'm pretty good at grief, too, but loneliness has panache, a certain tinge of piquancy made more acute because it can be remedied. There is no cure for grief, but being resolutely single maintains that lovely tang of unresolved possibility.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very personal entry. Very brave of you to share.
I don't believe that people are meant to be alone or lonely forever. That doesn't mean that everyone must have an intimate relationship with a monogamous mate.
I sincerely wish you to be un-lonely when you are ready.
p.s. you are lucky to only have been used and left by 3~

4:44 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I am not good at loneliness. I enjoyed it somewhat when my husband and I were seperated, but I do not do well as a solitary figure.

I think that it is marvelous that you have worked through things to the point that you have.

Possibility is a very powerful word and thing.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home