Tuesday, April 18, 2006

For about twenty years, perhaps longer, but more insistently in the last five, people who know me have been asking me to write a book about teaching. My sister asked me to when I was teaching in Cromwell. My methods students asked me to when I was teaching in Cromwell full time and at the University of Wisconsin-Superior part time. Several made the same request when I taught at Plymouth State in New Hampshire. Many over the years while here at Bemidji State. Two textbook publishers have asked in recent years.

This year Jessie the writerartistteachercoffeedogVinnieIndiacolor lover asked. She's the first to actually offer any useful help in figuring out how to start. In a conversation she drew out of me my own notion of what my teacher role is: letting them in. The teacher's role is to open and to be open.

Suddenly I'm seeing everything through a clear lens--one I carry in my teaching but didn't associate with writing about it.

Earlier this year I had a notion I might spend the summer in Utah learning about singing opera and musical theatre. That apparently hasn't worked out, as I haven't heard anything from the director or the company and there has been plenty of time to do that. Now I'm thinking I'll spend the summer trying to write that book.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful idea and makes sense.
You have drilled into us (students) just how important it is for the teacher to allow students to see how the teacher works, goes through the writing process.
You also know just how important it is for new teachers -- and perhaps veterans -- to look at teaching in a completely different way. That whole paradigm-shift thingy.
From what I've read in the CAL Dialogue, through your blog, and through the blogs of others you have had a profound influence on how students/teachers/regular people think, learn, and write. Why not take that a step further?
You have so much insight and interest to share.
One of the things that makes you so likeable is that you genuinely don't realize how incredibly intelligent, insightful and talented you are. And, yes, I'd say all that even if you weren't my idol :)
Seriously, go for it! You know you will sell at least 5 copies -- not including the 50 your Saintly Mother will purchase.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. I'm bummed for you that you won't be going to Utah to sing. Their loss.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

WAH! I wanted to meet you. There will be other summers though, and it sounds like people could REALLY benefit from that book. I have had a lot of teachers write their own book for sale at the university bookstore. Helpful to me and you make a fairbit in return!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yes!!! :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Berne said...

Now that's a book I'd buy and read...awesome Mark. I hope you have an enjoyable summer writing!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home