Wednesday, May 24, 2006

External studies papers today. Limit: three hours.

In the last couple of days four people who I play golf with occasionally have either recommended to me that I give up the game or asked me why I don't give it up. They refer, I know, to the splendidly poor quality of play I exhibit. These people aren't being mean; it puzzles them to see someone who has played so many years (eight) so earnestly and so badly continue to go out and stink up the course. They feel bad for me.

It's difficult for them to accept my explanation, because these are people who compete with other people. I have very little competition in me. What I do like is to work on self-improvement, which I suppose could be seen as a kind of competition with self but doesn't feel that way to me. Instead, I see opportunity and possibility. I have a chance to work toward getting better; it is possible that I will do so. Perhaps this improvement will be only for one stroke or one hole or one round, but it is possible. And it happens. Others see the overall awfulness of my game. So do I, but I also see the moments that shine.

Here I find a parallel with teaching. I view learning as self-improvement; when I teach I attempt to do so in ways that set up students to improve themselves. Improve their knowledge, improve their processes, improve their self-knowledge; improve their contributions to society. As teacher, I see it as my duty and pleasure to improve my teaching. Teaching and learning are connected and reflexive. I watch student results and attempt to adjust my next efforts based on the results I see. The parallel there with golf is that I watch the result of a swing or I notice the sensations of it and attempt to adjust my next one. This is a process I enjoy.

Of course, topping the ball seven times in a row gets tedious, but then one shot soars and the student is engaged again. Hope continues to burn.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, topping the ball seven times in a row gets tedious, but then one shot soars and the student is engaged again. Hope continues to burn. Reminds me of last semester's methods class!

I completely understand your explanation of why you continue to play. I enjoy pool and darts, but continue to play poorly. This doesn't bother me. As you stated, I have the chance to work toward getting better. I have aggravated more bar and pub patrons over the last 20+ years than I believe is legal! Still, I strive to work out bank shots and to learn the correct terms for them there triangles on that round board!

Again, you have inspired me!

p.s. My Grandfather used to play with a guy that would "toe-tap" the ball for better position. He rarely won!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Compared to other talents I posess,I don't have as much skill/talent as a writer. I've worked harder for any moments of success with the written word. While few and far between, these small moments are sweet triumphs.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home