Monday, June 12, 2006

I am trying to learn an aria from Gounod's Faust. I've learned the music; I am struggling mightily to learn the words. I can, with some effort, learn English or German songs. I can, with some greater effort, learn Italian ones. So far, with great effort, I'm failing to learn the French. I can pronounce it. I can't remember it. Two rehearsals a day most days for almost three weeks and I can't get through the first phrase without missing the middle of it.

My mind has curious flaws.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Faust! Ah, French!!
As usual, I envy your musical abilities and the pieces you get to sing.
Bon chance, mon ami.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

This problem is one of the very large reasons why I said, "NO" to an opera career.

I'm just terrible at it. French is the worst for me. Italian and german are the best (I also love Latin).

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like everything else you do, you're eventually conquer and master this, too.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home