Thursday, June 22, 2006

I had a fine time with my friend from high school days. In sending him a note to that effect I said something like sometimes the old friends are the most important ones. I'm also noticing a peculiar something about this blog: the comments and the e-mails that come to me in response to the blog have become important. I have a sense of connection with a few people that I just wouldn't have or at least wouldn't maintain without my blog, and, in a few instances, without reading theirs.

And speaking of connections, today I leave for the state Elks convention. I am once again the leader of the local lodge, so I am obligated to attend, but I've been going when not so obligated for many years--fifteen, in fact. The cool part of the conventions is that they are attended by the leaders who try to effect good work in their communities. These are the civic-spirited activists. Being around them sends me back home energized to try to do good work. In July I'll attend the national convention again--the third time for that one. Always the agenda is about what we can do to serve the country's young people and the country's military. Though I don't like the penalty I have to pay to do these things (I hate the stupid titles for the offices: my current title is "Exalted Ruler," which still makes me shudder even though I carry it for the third time and have been in the organization for twenty-nine years), the satisfaction of participating in something good is worth the penalty.

Off to swim, lunch, and hit the road. Back Sunday night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The title makes you sound important, too, and only magnifies the work required of you to keep the Kingdom in synche, and making sure the work is done inwhich yo delegate must be done for success. Congratulations, oh Exulted One.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Grandfather was Exalted Ruler for a few years. He was humble, too, and didn't like the title. My feeling: he, as with you, bring goodness to the title.
Have fun on your trip.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I am sorry to read about your friends and their illnesses and the passing away of your teacher.

I think that you do great stuff in the Elks...even if you have to suffer the title of Exalted Ruler. I think it makes you endearing.

What Opera role are you learning? I've loved having a summer opera company here. It gives people a lift in the summer. I think feeling guilty about good fortune just means that you are an empathetic individual that doesn't take anything for granted. You deserve good things, so don't let it bother you too much, though.

:)

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home