Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Being the head honcho at the local Elks Lodge does have some negatives ( in addition to having to put up with the title "Exalted Ruler") that I would just as soon not have to face. Yesterday I had to fire an employee. He knew it was coming and even felt sorry for me that I had to do it, but it still wasn't fun. I'm sure that is at least part of the reason I couldn't sleep last night. Had to be done; I was okay while I did it; I wasn't okay afterward.

I do so want to get back to work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Loralee Choate said...

That just shows what a kind heart you have, Mark.

It is never easy to have to fire someone. It is a part of responsibility that weighs on many people in leadership positions.

I don't envy you, but I am glad that you are kind enough to put consideration and worry into the things you do.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the type of person you are, I can understand how difficult it was for you. I was the "fired employee" early on this summer, similar situation. I felt bad for the employer, but we both knew we had to part ways.

I hope you got some sleep.

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it hurt you more than it did the person you had to fire. That has got to be the worse pat of the job. Knowing you like I do, the thought of your actions bothered you tremendously. But it also shows you are a man of great conscious and integrity. It's just too bad that letting someone go is part of the job. Hang in there!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

It really sucks having so much power over the lives of others--especially when that means having to deal with a negative situation. Who knows, maybe this guy getting fired will change the direction of his life for the better. You may never know--but in the meantime I'm sorry that you had to experience this. I agree with Loralee, Sherman, and Bill--it bothers you because you care--and that's a commendable quality to have.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home