Wednesday, August 09, 2006

So at 2:30 this morning I get up to go pee. I stagger into the bathroom and sit on the john, much too sleepy to stand up. In the very dim light of the nightlight I notice a black smudge in one corner where the wall, floor and bathtub intersect. It moves, then begins to walk, slowly and awkwardly, along the base of the tub. I don't have my glasses on, so it's just a dark smudge in a dark room, but the shape looks like a large spider or a bat.

I finish peeing and go to the bedroom to find my glasses. I turn on the bedroom light to find the glasses. I put them on and turn around and notice not one but three bats circling my head. I close the bedroom door on my way out, hoping to shut them in. Two are trapped in the bedroom, but the third comes with me as I go downstairs, open the coat closet, rummage around, and finally find last winter's soft leather gloves. I lose number three while finding the gloves.

I go back upstairs to my bedroom, open the door, step in, and quickly close the door behind me. One bat is hanging on the wall directly above the pillows on my bed. I get on the bed and grab the bat off the wall. The other is swooping.

I take bat number one downstairs, shutting the bedroom door behind me. I release bat number one outdoors. I wonder if anyone walking by is wondering why a man in Joe Boxer briefs, winter gloves, and nothing else is standing on his step opening his hands to the night sky.

I go back upstairs to my bedroom, open the door, step in, and quickly close the door behind me. Bat number two is still swooping, but I can see it's getting tired. It's swoops are becoming swops. There are by now about twenty bat shaped black smudges on one wall. It lands on the floor and crawls under my laundry hamper. I pick up the hamper and it swoops again. Finally its swoop is swapped for a spot on the door frame, where I catch it. This one chatters at me. I don't feel like answering. Back to the outside door and another offering to the night sky.

Bat number three isn't cooperating. No swoops. I search. No more black smudges. I'm tired. I go back to bed. Twenty minutes later I hear it swooping over the bed. Glasses back on. Light. Gloves. Follow the bat downstairs. Wait. Listen. Aha. Giveaway rustle. Find bat on window side of dining room curtain. Pull aside curtain and nab bat. This one squeaks a protest. Feels unjust to me. I am the one whose sleep is being disturbed. Squeak. Another offering.

Ah. All three bats removed.

I head back for the stairway. I am met by two more bats swooping down into the living room. No more sleep tonight. Tired of the Joe Boxer dance too. Get dressed. Settle in for the duration. Sit. Listen. Mollie the collie follows all this with silent interest. No comment about bats or Boxer briefs. Just a spectator.

Small scratching from the fireplace. Black screen, black fireplace, black night, black bat. Vision difficult. Find a lamp. Train it on screen. Squat on foot stool. See bat. Move screen, grab bat number four. Fully dressed offering this time.

Return. Wait for bat number five. Bat number five and number six swoop. Watch. Wait. Listen. Check illuminated fireplace screen. Grab bat number five. Offering. Back to screen. Squat on stool. Stare like cat at mousehole. Bat number six appears. Grab. Miss. Bat back in fireplace flue. Stare. Bat comes back to screen. Sees batman/cat. Back in fireplace flue. Batman/cat waits. Bat rustles. Listen. Stare. Squat.

Sun comes up. Game called on account of light.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds like you have a nest f them. They may be coming through your chimney or attic. Someone can check that by looking for guava (bat poop). They can cover the hole, or holes, and clean out the rest. When you tell the story of how many there were, a nest of them seems probable. It's a job for the experts. But there's nothing worse than seeing a bat fly..it looks huge with it's wings fully spanned. It looks like something from Batman and the signal the police commissioner used to summon the cape crusader. Maybe one of the bats is a wise-guy and sent the rest a message.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I love bats. They're cute. Individual bats, anyway. Bat infestations are less cute.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Cournia said...

A fantastic story.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing! I don't know what is a funnier vision - you chasing the bats, sitting on the stool, or you in boxers!

I'm glad you found all the bats and hope you figure out how they got in so you can fix that immediately! Otherwise, while you are in China, they will have a Bat party, invite all their Bat friends, eat all your kibble and probably watch reruns of Adam West as, you know, Batman :)

p.s. Your neighbors probably think you are some sort of Earth Religion nut holding ritual. After all, it was officially full moon last night. Welcome to the club!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

Hilarious, Mark.

At least you were in boxers and not a thong.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

A couple years ago my mom had the same infestation in her house a few blocks up the street from you.

I think 67 bats was the last count. Looks like they moved to your place!

5:35 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

THONG?! There's a fine line between humor and horror. Mark in a thong crosses the line.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home