Saturday, August 05, 2006

Today three other members of the Elks Club and I will be volunteering our time for a fundraiser. In order to support the local Adult Day Services chapter, we will be helping conduct a rubber duck race on the Mississippi. I am again astonished at the nonsense people will pay money for. I have sold something like forty, five dollar tickets to "buy" yellow, rubber ducks, which will be set loose to float down the river from Lake Irvine to Lake Bemidji. The "owner" of the first duck to cross the finish line wins a fair chunk of change. He or she will, no doubt, break into song. "Rubber ducky, you're the one...."

Because I have a boat, my mother and I will be at the Lake Bemidji end with a fish net, picking up ducks by the hundreds as they float by.

I think this is so funny that I can't stop grinning whenever my mind comes back to it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd pay a good bit of money to (a) see you fishing duckies out of the water (b) see your grin (c) to hear You sing a la Ernie the Muppett!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I laughed just imagining it--because the absurdity of it all makes it hard to hold a staight face!
:)-

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home